Tips and Tricks for Healthy Eyes
You know that a healthy diet and exercise is essential to your health, but many people don’t consider how to keep their eyes healthy as they age. It goes without saying that losing your eyesight would significantly alter your quality of life. In an effort to prevent eye deterioration and disease as much as possible, here are a few tips and tricks you can follow to keep them healthy:
- See your eye doctor and have a comprehensive exam. It is recommended to visit your optometrist regularly in order to detect an eye disorder or disease as early as possible. Visits should be yearly, and they are especially important for young children and those over the age of 40. There are many diseases that can affect your eyes, and most of them can be treated effectively before they affect your vision, which is why it is important for early detection.
- Wear sunglasses. Just like your skin, your eyes can get sunburned, causing irritation, redness, tearing, discomfort or pain in your eyes. Wear sunglasses with to protect your eyes from getting damaged by the sun. Make sure your sunglasses provide 100% UV protection from both UVA and UVB rays.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking is terrible for your health, and that includes your eyes as well. Smokers are seven times more likely to suffer from an eye disease than non-smokers.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet. A diet full of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and lean protein will provide you with the vitamins (A, C, E and beta-carotene) your eyes need to stay healthy.
- Protect them. If applicable, wear eye protection at your workplace. Sixty percent of all eye injuries occur at work. Jobs that involve handling hazardous chemicals or the use of machinery increase your chances of eye injuries.