Save Your Spot
CareWell Urgent Care Logo
Blog

How to “poison proof” your home and what to do in an emergency

More than 90 percent of poisonings happen within the home, especially within the kitchen and bathroom. Many common household products can be dangerous if inhaled or swallowed — especially for young children. Items such as cleaning products and medications are the highest risks. To keep your family safe from these hazards, here are a few tips for poison-proofing your home.

  1. Keep your kitchen “clean”

Household cleaners should be kept in their original containers and put away immediately after use to avoid accidental consumption. If you have small children, be sure to keep these cleaners either locked up or at a level a child cannot reach. Consider using “green cleaners,” but do check for dangerous ingredients such as chlorine and ammonia.

  1. Store Medications Properly

Keep ALL medications in their original containers and be sure to store them in a place where children cannot reach them. Also never call medicine “candy” to coax them into taking it.

  1. Prevent Lead Poisoning

Lead-based paints were banned in the United States in 1978, but homes built before then may still have some lead paint. Lead poisoning can cause developmental delays and learning difficulties, as well as damage to the nervous system and kidneys — and they cannot be reversed. If you own or buy an older home, be sure to contact the local health department to test your home for lead levels, especially before starting any renovation projects.

  1. Detect Carbon Monoxide Leaks

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas produced by burning gasoline, wood, propane, charcoal or other fuel — and carbon monoxide poisoning is caused when these fuels don’t burn completely. It is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths.  To stop this unnoticeable threat, it’s important to select and install a carbon monoxide detector.

What to do in an emergency:

Keep the number for the Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) in your phone and posted on the fridge in case of emergency. If your child has accidentally swallowed or come in contact with a poisonous substance, don’t wait to see if symptoms develop — call 911 immediately.

Care You Can Count On
View All Locations
Our Locations
1400 Cambridge Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Save Your Spot in Line
380 John Fitch Highway
Fitchburg, MA 01420
Save Your Spot in Line
58 Bedford Street
Lexington, MA 02420
Save Your Spot in Line
922 Highland Avenue
Needham, MA 02494
Save Your Spot in Line
333 Southwest Cutoff
Northborough, MA 01532
Save Your Spot in Line
42 Washington St.
Norwell, MA 02061
Save Your Spot in Line
229 Andover Street (Rt 114)
Peabody, MA 01960
Save Your Spot in Line
Patriot Square 484 Rte. 134
South Dennis, MA 02660
Save Your Spot in Line
345 Main Street
Tewksbury, MA 01876
Save Your Spot in Line
535 Centerville Road
Warwick, RI 02886
Save Your Spot in Line
348 Greenwood Street
Worcester, MA 01607
Save Your Spot in Line
500 Lincoln Street
Worcester, MA 01605
Save Your Spot in Line
2024 Emergence Health Holdings. All rights reserved. Website Design by Healthcare Success