As cooler temperatures arrive, so does something not happily welcomed: flu season. This year, the official kickoff for the new flu season is October 4th, and CareWell is dedicated to keeping you and your family healthy.
The single best way to protect against the flu is to get vaccinated each year. Influenza is a serious disease that can lead to hospitalization and sometimes even death. If more people dedicated themselves to getting annual flu shots, the less it will spread in our community. Vaccination is particularly important for people who are at high risk of serious complications from the flu, including pregnant women, children under the age of two, and adults over the age of 65.
If you have the flu, you can infect others one day before showing symptoms and up to seven days after becoming sick.
Besides vaccination, here are some tips to keeping your family healthy:
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. These areas are the primary entry points for illness.
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly.
- Cover your mouth or tuck it into your elbow when coughing or sneezing. Always wash your hands afterward.
- Exercise and meditate. New research suggests that regular exercise and meditation may be among the best ways to reduce respiratory infections.
- Minimize stress levels. Chronic stress slows and impedes your body’s immune system response. Meditation is an excellent way to reduce stress.
Again, the best defense against the flu is a vaccination. Schedule your flu shots for your entire family today at CareWell.